[arch-general] Include paths for python 3

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 13 15:01:18 UTC 2018

On 8/13/18 10:28 AM, Jayesh Badwaik via arch-general wrote:
> I've noticed that the include paths for python 3 are updated according
> to the version of python being installed. This removes some stability
> for custom programs which build against python (example boost.python).
> It would be nice if there was a symlink version of python include
> paths to a stable location like `/usr/include/python3`.

This will never happen.

If you're not using `pkg-config --cflags python3` then you're doing it
wrong. End of story.

Source code that doesn't know how to use pkg-config to find the
versioned include path in /usr/include also won't be able to find it in
$HOME/dev/python/include/python3.7m or whatever complex development
environments lots of people tend to use.

Patching one cherry-picked linux distro in order to fix one specific
workflow in one programming language and one software dependency, seems
rather inefficient. Learn to love pkg-config, it's quite fantastic. ;)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User