[arch-general] How to upgrade a postgresql database?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Fri Aug 17 13:57:18 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade a postgresql database, but it doesn't work. I've
also found this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PostgreSQL#Upgrading_PostgreSQL

This doesn't work for me, because there isn't any folder
/opt/pgsql-9.6/bin anymore - all the binaries are in /usr/bin. This
implies, there're no two versions of the binaries available, nor any
oldir or newdir (for -b / -B parameters).

It seems, I have to downgrade postgresql first, dump the database, and
restore it after upgrading again. Is there any easier method available
(i.e. some script which could do this automatically)?

Kind regards

Peter