[arch-general] update today causes avantfax_hourly cron: Exec format error?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Aug 26 13:57:45 UTC 2018

On 8/26/18 9:48 AM, SET wrote:
> Le dimanche 26 août 2018 15:11:36 CEST Eli Schwartz via arch-general a écrit :
>> some wonderful shebang
>
> Ha ! My wonderful shebang was "#/bin/sh" instead of "#!/bin/sh".
>
> After correcting the typo, run-parts does not complain.

Yes, that helps if the script is actually a valid script and not a
crontab. :)

I do wonder why run-parts uses execv instead of execvp:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debianutils/blob/ffa3684d42b28b4d2851c011843dd2a77e427f8f/run-parts.c#L199

I would think that emulating the well-known behavior of "for actual
shell scripts which do not have shebangs, try using /bin/sh if no
interpreter is detected" would be a reasonable thing to do.

Maybe they're trying to encourage people to use proper shebangs. This is
a nice idea *in principle*, because admittedly, people should.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User