[arch-general] update today causes avantfax_hourly cron: Exec format error?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Aug 27 06:57:16 UTC 2018

On 08/26/2018 08:11 AM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Why do you think run-parts "should" execute this file as a cron script?
> Is there some wonderful shebang in the "avantfax_hourly" file which says
> "execute this script as a cron executable"?

Yes, of course it does,

  $ head -n 2 /srv/http/avantfax/includes/phb.php
  #!/usr/bin/php56
  <?php

and

  $ l /usr/bin/php56
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10026472 Aug  9 15:50 /usr/bin/php56

Why would I think cron wouldn't run it as specified in my reply:

  -rwxr-xr-x 1 http http 988 Sep 14  2016 /srv/http/avantfax/includes/phb.php

Why should cron care whether it is a executable script or an elf file? As long
as the execute permissions are set and cron has the permissions to run it and
the interpreter is specified -- then there should be no issue.

The problem here is the new error that appeared in the journal after the updates.

But wait -- there is more... After further kernel and linux-firmware updates
in the interim, the errors are gone again, e.g.

# journalctl -b | grep -i avantfax
(no output)

It's not like I just dream this stuff up. I check my sever logs routinely. I
have run Arch on it since 2009 -- I'm familiar with what it does. When a new
error appears that wasn't there before the last set of update -- I go looking
for why. When I can't find an answer I ask here -- so if others similarly
situated are affected, they can benefit, as well as determining if this is a
bug or a transient issue.

At this point the issue is moot. After update yesterday to
linux-4.18.5.arch1-1 and linux-firmware-20180825.fea76a0-1, the issue is gone
without me doing anything other than 'pacman -Syu'.

Chock it up to gremlins.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.