[arch-general] update today causes avantfax_hourly cron: Exec format error?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 27 11:58:33 UTC 2018

On 8/27/18 2:57 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/26/2018 08:11 AM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> in the "avantfax_hourly" file
> Yes, of course it does,
>
>   $ head -n 2 /srv/http/avantfax/includes/phb.php

I've reread these two statements eleven times, and I *still* cannot see
where it makes sense for you to determinedly mention a completely
unrelated file.

With such unreserved stubbornness.

> I have run Arch on it since 2009 -- I'm familiar with what it does.

Just using a thing often used by intelligent, computer-savvy people,
does not *automatically* qualify you as one of them. Just using a thing
for a long time does not *automatically* qualify you as familiar with
that thing.

And in this case, your aggressively prioritized attitude of learned
helplessness makes me wonder whether using Arch is the best thing for you.

For reasons I don't quite understand, you seem to despise the idea of
becoming more knowledgeable about how things work. I don't see how this
can work out...

> When I can't find an answer I ask here -- so if others similarly
> situated are affected, they can benefit, as well as determining if this is a
> bug or a transient issue.

I don't see how anyone is benefiting from this, not even you.

Well, SET benefited, but that was incidental, and anyway people with the
need can start their own, more rational threads, and get the same help,
without getting confused and possibly thrown off by your insistence that
the underlying cause is something different and undiagnosed.

> Chock it up to gremlins.

I'm going to chalk it up to you completely ignoring every last word I
say, with your serene confidence that you already know the answer and
don't need to listen to a word anyone else says.

Noted, for the next time I'm foolish enough to think you *actually* want
help.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User