[arch-general] Package grub Encourages Warnings to be Ignored.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 08:55:41 UTC 2018

Hi,

Having spotted

    warning: /boot/grub/grub.cfg saved as /boot/grub/grub.cfg.pacsave

during today's large package upgrade, I went to /boot/grub afterwards
expecting work to do.  grub.cfg.pacsave didn't exist.  `pacman -Ql grub'
showed grub doesn't own anything in /boot.  Google led me to
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=242285 where Salkay had
earlier started along the same path.

The warning has wasted our time, and the forum's conclusion is `ignore
the warning'.  Encouraging warnings to be ignored is a bad idea; I don't
suppose some here are too happy when a user turns up with a problem and
the answer was under their nose but they `ignored the warning'.

Can a better solution to this be engineered?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy