[arch-general] Package grub Encourages Warnings to be Ignored.

Amish anon.amish at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 01:14:52 UTC 2018

On 09/12/18 6:13 am, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Well, yes. In fact, I consider the mere existence of the grub-mkconfig
> command to be a harsh sin. :p

> It boggles my mind that a distribution that prides itself on:
> - DIY,
> - KISS,
> - understanding how things work, and
> - the avoidance of crutch-like tools meant to abstract into nonexistence
>    the job of maintaining your system
>
> still discourages all these things with respect to the grub bootloader.
>
> I am in the gradual process of hopefully fixing all this via rewriting
> the wiki page for grub. My current progress towards this end can be seen
> at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Eschwartz/Grub#Configuration

In my opinion DIY (Do it yourself) does not mean hand write everything
from scratch.

KISS (Keep it simple) implies that if you can use a tool (grub-mkconfig
in this case) then use it. Because handwriting the whole grub file is
time consuming and as well as error prone. Simple is to use a tool in
this case. Hand writing a full conf file is no way simple. Ofcourse,
once created, its easy to edit the existing one. Hand writing becomes
simple in such cases.

Ofcourse grub-mkconfig should not be default and should not be used in
post_install/upgrade.

Hence in my opinion, in your Wiki page, giving priority to writing a
configuration from scratch (section 3.2) over using grub-mkconfig
(section 3.3) isnt the right approach.

Regards

Amish.