[arch-general] Problems with shadow service

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 13 06:56:55 UTC 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 07:33:49 +0100
Andy Pieters <arch-general at andypieters.me.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:28 PM Peter Nabbefeld <peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > because of a performance problem I've checked services and noticed this
> > line:
> > ● shadow.service
> >                     loaded failed failed    Verify integrity of password
> > and group files
> >

> > So I checked this service and got this output:
> >
> > $ systemctl status shadow
> > ● shadow.service - Verify integrity of password and group files
> >     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/shadow.service; static;
> > vendor preset: disabled)
> >     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-12-12 06:59:27
> > CET; 14h ago
> >    Process: 561 ExecStart=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/pwck -r || r=1;
> > /usr/bin/grpck -r && exit $r (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> >   Main PID: 561 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> >
> > Dez 12 06:59:24 tuchola systemd[1]: Started Verify integrity of password
> > and group files.
> > Dez 12 06:59:26 tuchola sh[561]: Benutzer »ceph«: Verzeichnis
> > »/run/ceph« existiert nicht.
> > Dez 12 06:59:26 tuchola sh[561]: pwck: Keine Änderungen
> > Dez 12 06:59:27 tuchola systemd[1]: shadow.service: Main process exited,
> > code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
> > Dez 12 06:59:27 tuchola systemd[1]: shadow.service: Failed with result
> > 'exit-code'.
> >

> > As system seems to run without problems (other than performance), I've
> > got two questions:
> >
> > 1. Do I need the shadow service? Why?
> >
> > 2. Why does it fail? User "ceph" is defined, but /run/ceph does not
> > exist as its home directory - why? Seems there's a problem in the
> > installation of ceph-libs or any or its dependants (like libvirt).
> > Probably the user is created only if whole ceph is installed, too?
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Peter
> Create the directory /run/ceph and pwck will be happy

How well do you really expect creating a dir on tmpfs to work?

Anyway, for the OP, pacman does not remove users that were created by package
installation for security reasons. If you removed ceph, the user is left over
for you to deal with. See https://www.archlinux.org/todo/usergroup-management/

Scimmia