[arch-general] Suspicious activity and slowness ...

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:53:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 15:04, Peter Nabbefeld <peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de>
wrote:

> since some days, I'm noticing HD is too busy, and my laptop is very slow
> in some cases.

It might also be worth checking the health of your hard disk with "smartctl
-A /dev/sd<x>". Look out for "Reallocated Event Count", "Current Pending
Sector", and "Offline Uncorrectable". These should be zero. If they're not
zero, the hard disk may be slowing down due to the firmware trying to
correct disk read errors transparently, causing processes to spend an
excessive time in IO-wait. I've found that these days, failing hard disks
tend to cause slow-downs rather than outright crashes.

Paul