[arch-general] syslinux: out of date - or not?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Dec 21 14:37:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:34:42 +0100, Bjoern Franke wrote:
>I recently wanted to switch from grub to syslinux, but it could not
>boot my /boot-partition, because it uses XFS.

A long time ago I migrated from GRUB2 to syslinux. In my case the file
system wasn't/isn't an issue, but the migration to syslinux had/has
pitfalls for me, too. Dual-monitor usage on demand is one of those
issues. Dunno if GRUB2 is able to handle it, but syslinux definitively
can't, while the BIOS is able to manage it. Another issue are the
multi-boot limitations. Since multi-boot anyway is less comfortable when
using syslinux, you either need to chainload or to bypass chainloading
as I do [1], why not simply migrating to a more common file system for
the /boot partition, too? How about ext4? Regarding SSD usage it
shouldn't make a difference [2].

[1]
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep bind /mnt/moonstudio/etc/fstab
/mnt/archlinux/.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot /boot          none   bind              0 0

[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive#TRIM