[arch-general] syslinux: out of date - or not?

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Fri Dec 21 15:56:27 UTC 2018

On 12/21/18 10:38 AM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> Debian has patches for both -- neither of which the syslinux developer
> community has responded to, though given that they've only committed 2
> patches in the last year, both of which were in response to a syslinux
> thread entitled "Is syslinux still worked on? No new commits in git for
> about one year", things are looking... gloomy.

Based on Eli's above comment it sounds like syslinux may not be a good
choice. Its such a critical component of the system, that having a well
maintained tool is important.

I chose to use refind (arch package refind-efi) which I've found to work
well for my use cases. For my very old computer without EFI I use grub2.
Of the 2, IMHO, refind is the superior tool.

Thanks for sharing.

gene