[arch-general] syslinux: out of date - or not?

Andy Pieters arch-general at andypieters.me.uk
Sat Dec 22 16:37:52 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 5:08 PM Ralf Mardorf via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> >Dual-monitor usage on demand is one of those issues.
>
> If I connect a LCD monitor to the computer's HDMI port and a CRT
> monitor to its VGA port, but only turn on the LCD monitor, the syslinux
> menu isn't available by the LCD monitor. To see the menu on the LCD
> monitor, I need to unplug the CRT monitor.
Not wanting to belittle your issue but surely that's an extreme edge
case? Or not. hmmm. has this ever happened to me? With servers, yes I
occasionally have to plug in a monitor on a VGA port to debug a failed
boot. But if the syslinux/grub isn't showing a CTRL+ALT+DEL. is what I
do since I'm at the boot stage anyway. Granted on some servers it
takes 6 minutes to fully POST but since it is such a rare occurrence I
hardly think about it.

Does it happen to you that often to such an extent as to be a blocker,
or was it more a case of "a list of things that don't work"?