[arch-general] Update Groff version to 1.22.4

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 31 04:00:51 UTC 2018

On 12/30/18 8:49 PM, Stephen Gregoratto via arch-general wrote:
> Ping?

Pong.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pong

> On 2018-12-25 02:11:24, Stephen Gregoratto via arch-general wrote:
>> This patch updates groff to version 1.22.4, which was released
>> yesterday. I had to change the PGP key from Werner to Bertrand, and I
>> also removed some lingering whitespace.
>>
>> OK?

Not OK.

arch-general is *not* an official medium for requesting updates to a
package.

There is only *one* official medium for requesting updates to a package,
and that is by going to
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/groff/ and flagging the
package out of date. This was done exactly the same day as your first
email to this thread, and corresponds to the day after the release date
for groff itself.

It has not even been a full week since then. It will have been a full
week, tomorrow.

AND THIS ALL HAPPENED OVER THE HOLIDAYS.

People have better things to do over the freaking holidays than to worry
about a single package which has had a point release that is only a
couple days old.

Give it time. It will be ready when it is ready. The entire fundamental
Arch Linux distribution as a whole will not fade into irrelevance and
die by the time New Years Eve comes around, just because this rolling
release distro fails to update the groff package in under 24 hours from
the time it is released.

This desperation to know when a package will be updated, does *NOT* help
the community. We know the package is out of date. As you yourself
pointed out, there are no changes necessary to roll out the update --
all that it takes is for the package maintainer to take time out of his
holiday celebrations to update a package that does not have any sort of
critical issue whatsoever. There is therefore no new information that
you are providing, which would be useful for someone seeking to
implement the update.

Is there any particular reason that you are so anxious to see this point
release receive a mid-holiday update?

..

Elsewhere in the arch support media, we might point out
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130138 point #6 and dustbin a
forum thread that looks like this. In the IRC support channels, this
sort of thing has achieved critical mass and we'll go straight to the
off-color jokes:

<elibrokeit> phrik: when5
<@phrik> every time someone asks about a release date it is postponed by
a week