[arch-general] libxfont: removing fontsproto breaks dependency 'fontsproto>=2.1.3'

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Feb 10 04:37:28 UTC 2018

On 02/09/2018 09:55 PM, Doug Newgard via arch-general wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 21:54:10 -0600
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2018 09:49 PM, Doug Newgard via arch-general wrote:
>>> It no longer exists in the repos. You have nothing depending on it. It's
>>> causing you problems. The solution seems obvious.
>>
>> Obvious solution applied, (pacman -R libxfont), update proceeded normally,
>> gremlins?
>>
>> Sorry for the noise...
>>

> Not gremlins, just an old package that never got cleaned out. Pacman doesn't do
> this automatically.

Thanks Doug,

  I clued into that fact when I looked closer at:

Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : freetype2  libfontenc  xproto  fontsproto>=2.1.3
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None

  It was first installed as a dependency when the system was first installed
in 2016. So I'm not sure what the culprit was. I'm always hesitant to just
start pacman -R'ing packages, but now I know how to check if the obvious
solution is warranted...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.