[arch-general] libxfont: removing fontsproto breaks dependency 'fontsproto>=2.1.3'

Kyle kyle at free2.ml
Wed Feb 14 20:32:35 UTC 2018

Maarten de Vries ALIANDIKA:
# ​pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqdt​)

Unfortunately this will break my system. It's trying to remove git for
one thing, which is definitely something I need. Not to mention that I
installed git explicitly, so pacman definitely shouldn't be removing it.
I can see a whole lot of other explicitly installed packages as well as
packages that are installed as build dependencies that would also be
removed using this method, which is unacceptable at least on my system.

On the initial topic of this thread, there has to be a cleaner way to be
sure that packages like libxfont get removed in an automated way because
they are no longer needed, rather than my upgrade causing an error
because a package that is no longer in the repository breaks the upgrade
instead of just being removed. It also doesn't help that there wasn't
even so much as a news post on the subject before this unclean update
was introduced. And when people are called stupid and worse for
reporting and reopening a bug report because their upgrade process was
broken and no news post was announced, I don't care how many times the
bug report was reopened, users, even experienced users like myself, find
this very off-putting. It does more to drive good people away than it
does to help anyone. TBH I'm actually glad someone brought this to the
public list and that the link to the closed bug report was added, so
that we can see the true nature of the beast here. Users are never
supposed to be the enemy, but even experienced power users who have
contributed and don't post much to the list except to try to help when
possible now feel we are being treated like last weeks garbage due to
the handling of this dirty package upgrade, the lack of a news post and
subsequent insults hurled at the community for reporting the bug, and
yes, it is a bug, even if the best resolution is to post news. At the
very least, a better explanation is in order, rather than insulting the
intelligence of users and outright name calling because someone
disagrees with the concept of a dirty upgrade being a bug.
Imetumwa kutoka habari zetu