[arch-general] What files are tipically in /usr/local/share?

Dan Haworth dan at xigen.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 09:29:59 UTC 2018

On 21/02/18 09:26, Morgan Adamiec via arch-general wrote:
> On 21 February 2018 at 09:21, Marcelo "Marc" Ranolfi via arch-general
> <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just accidentally deleted my '/usr/local/share' folder.
>> This happened while I was creating custom copies of launchers from
>> /usr/share/applications.
>>
>> Now, if I understand it correctly, the '/usr/local' directory should
>> only contain files created by the user. In fact, I checked other
>> subdirectories (bin, etc, games, include, lib, man, sbin, src) and
>> they are all empty, except for a couple files I manually created in
>> 'sbin' and 'lib'.
>>
>> But, as I was almost sure that the 'share' dir specifically was _not_
>> empty before I started messing with it, I just ran 'pacman -Qkq' and
>> it reported '/usr/local/share/man' missing.
>> This was promptly fixed by reinstalling the 'filesystem' package.
>>
>> But this has me wondering if there was something more important which
>> resides there.
>> Perhaps something generated by an application or script.
>>
>> None of my backups include that directory, so I'm afraid this makes me
>> impossible to check for myself, other than installing/configuring
>> everything from scratch.
>>
>> Can you guys clarify this for me?
>>
>> In case it's relevant, my desktop stack has Cinnamon, LightdDM,
>> networkManager, Samba and other less important packages on top of a
>> standard Arch Linux setup.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Marc
> /usr/share that a lot of stuff in it. Quoting directly from `man hier`
> "This directory contains subdirectories with specific application
> data, that can be shared among different architectures of the same OS.
> Often one finds stuff here that used to live in /usr/doc or /usr/lib
> or /usr/man."
>
> I would recommend you reinstall every package you currently have installed.
Just to add here, looking at my own local folder, I have only two
entries: "man" (which is a symlink to /usr/local/man) and "applications"
which contains just a few .desktop files for some locally installed
applications I have that didn't come from the official repos originally
(vmware-workstation, teamviewer and spotify).

You might not be as bad off as you think!

--dan