[arch-general] dhcpcd-7.0.1-1 seems to break SLAAC

Jukka Salmi j+arch at salmi.ch
Mon Feb 26 00:02:22 UTC 2018

Hello Andy

ProgAndy --> arch-general (2018-02-23 23:09:07 +0100):
> Am 23.02.2018 um 01:45 schrieb Jukka Salmi:
> > With dhcpcd-6.11.5-1 starting this netctl profile results in an IPv4
> > address being configured via DHCP and an IPv6 address being configured
> > via SLAAC as expected.
> >
> > With dhcpcd-7.0.1-1 starting this netctl profile results in an IPv4
> > address being configured via DHCP, but no IPv6 address is configured.

> > Is anybody seeing the same issue?  Is really dhcpcd to blame?
> >

> > TIA & cheers,
> >
> > Jukka
> >
> Hello,
> that was a deliberate design decision, it is assumed that you will
> either want dhcpcd to handle ipv4 as well as ipv6 or you want to
> disable ipv6.
>
> https://roy.marples.name/archives/dhcpcd-discuss/0001903.html
>
> >   *  ipv6: disable kernel RA if interface is active
[...]
> More information about the reasons for the change here:
> https://roy.marples.name/archives/dhcpcd-discuss/0001907.html
> https://roy.marples.name/archives/dhcpcd-discuss/0001880.html

Thanks for the hints.  So it seems that currently a netctl profile with

        IP=dhcp
        IP6=stateless

is just not working as expected, at least not when using the default
setting of DHCPClient=dhcpcd.

> It seems that there were too many complaints, so in git the behaviour
> has been changed again. (After the 7.0.1 release)
> https://roy.marples.name/archives/dhcpcd-discuss/0001942.html
> https://github.com/rsmarples/dhcpcd/commit/8f483d192082a953dd035f38ee4555735106f1fc
> > /*
> > * If dhcpcd is doing RS, disable RA support
> > * in the kernel. Otherwise, leave it alone.
> > * Logically it should be disabled regardless as dhcpcd can
> > * do it better and the user saying no RS means no RS even the kernel,
> > * but some crazy people want the kernel to do it still.
> > */
>
> Maybe in the future dhcpcd will have options for both ignoring ipv6
> (letting the kernel handle it) and disabling ipv6.

I wouldn't complain about such options ;)

Cheers, Jukka

--
This email fills a much-needed gap in the archives.