[arch-general] php php71 in conflict

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 10 14:25:47 UTC 2018

On 01/10/2018 05:59 AM, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:
> php71 provides php, so you should be fine with removing php
>

> Actually, this might be a case where 2 packages cannot be used on the same
> installation... (assuming all dependancies are listed correct).
>
> A quick glance showed that php == php 7.2, so removing the php package
> /may/ break other applications.
> Same for the other way around: keeping php and removing php71 may break
> nextcloud.

php 7.2 will *definitely* break nextcloud.

php71 *might* break other applications e.g. phpldapadmin, but the
question is, were they working before the php package itself was
upgraded to 7.2? Because the php71 package essentially allows you to
hold back on the upgrade to 7.2 for applications that don't actually
support the latest stable php release. But I think most/all software
should support the latest -1 stable release. :)

--
Eli Schwartz