[arch-general] Is linux extramodules dir named most appropriately?

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:39:07 UTC 2018

Le 11/01/2018 à 18:35, Genes Lists via arch-general a écrit :

> On 1/11/18 12:15 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> ..
>> *What* directory removal logic???
>>
>> pacman -Qo /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARCH/
>>
>> Anyway, see how Red Hat uses "weak modules" in much the same way.
>>

> When linux is updated to 4.15 the old 4.14.13-1-ARCH modules directory
> will be removed and I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the same is
> true for the extramodules-4.14 directory. I guessed, perhaps wrongly,
> that both of these were mediated by pacman hooks in
> /usr/share/libapm/hooks/xxx.
>
> Otherwise we'd have a slew of unused directories building up in
> /usr/lib/modules. In fact this did happen I believe a long time back.

That was indeed the case a long time ago for modules built with DKMS,
but now they are hooks for this, in the dkms package that is. But if you
have no DKMS modules, the directory is directly part of the packages you
use (kernel + extra modules) and will be removed by pacman itself as
part of upgrading the corresponding packages, because the new version of
those packages won’t have the dir anymore.

Regards,
Bruno