[arch-general] Why there is no NetworkManager in ArchISO

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 12 14:57:14 UTC 2018

On 01/12/2018 08:48 AM, Foxtrot Mike via arch-general wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use arch with i3wm. Been using for around 3 years. Still lovin it.
> Dont really need a network manager when netctl can handle my wifi pretty
> nicely. Actually I prefer typing over mouse-ing, so I would always
> prefer a tool like netctl over mouse-driven tools such as network manager.

Please keep in mind that NetworkManager is primarily a backgrounded
daemon, with two CLI reference frontends -- nmtui and nmcli.

network-manager-applet, which most people think of as "NetworkManager",
is actually a thirdparty GUI for NetworkManager, developed by some of
the same people as a separate project. Said GUI is not even installed
with networkmanager, it is a completely separate package that *depends*
on networkmanager.

Please learn more about your system/tools before passing judgment on them.

--
Eli Schwartz