[arch-general] Which MTA to use to store mails?

Dan Haworth dan at xigen.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 14:00:47 UTC 2018

On 03/07/18 14:52, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:

> Hello,
>
> topic is probably not so precise. What I want is the following:
> - I've got some Email/IMAP account.
> - My mail is hosted on a server by GMX.
> - I've got too many Emails on the host.
> - I don't want to loose any of the emails.
> - So I will have to install my own mail server,
>   fetching all my emails from the host.
> - The mail server will then have to interact with
>   my providers server like a client, working as a server for me.
>
> I'm sure there're some good servers, but I don't know which one
> - works as expected,
> - and is easy to configure.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Peter
Hey Peter,

Personally I have always been happy with exim and dovecot for local mail
servers. Regarding downloading your mail from your remote provider
regularly, I would personally use fetchmail for that - it sounds exactly
what you're looking for (https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/).

Hope that helps,

Dan