[arch-general] Kernel modules not loaded after Linux update

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Sun Jul 22 11:26:10 UTC 2018

Am 22.07.2018 um 12:40 schrieb Ralph Corderoy:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> I cannot find the error message from the service again, sorry, so I
>> cannot tell You, it had to do with some security parameter not set.
> It might be in journalctl(1)'s output.

Sorry, cannot find that.  :-/

>> According to the description of kernel downgrading in the wiki, I
>> should have downgraded linux-headers, too, but these are not in my
>> package cache - are they included in the kernel package now?
> No.  It's still a package.
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-headers/
>
>      $ pacman -Slq | egrep '^linux($|-)'
>      linux
>      linux-api-headers
>      linux-atm
>      linux-docs
>      linux-firmware
>      linux-headers
>      linux-lts
>      linux-lts-docs
>      linux-lts-headers
>      linux-hardened
>      linux-hardened-docs
>      linux-hardened-headers
>      linux-zen
>      linux-zen-docs
>      linux-zen-headers
>      linux-tools-meta
>      $
>
> If your cache no longer has old packages, you can use the online
> Archive.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrading_packages#Arch_Linux_Archive

Thank You, Ralph! I now wonder where the linux-headers are cached, as
they're not in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, and I've checked they're installed
in version 4.17.8 (so probably may cause problems). Are these headers
used for compilation of modules only, or do they add some more value to
the running linux system, too?

Kind regards
Peter