[arch-general] Kernel modules not loaded after Linux update

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 14:10:30 UTC 2018

Hi Peter,

> > > alias 'crypto_user': Function not implemented
> >
> > What's in /usr/lib/modules-load.d ?
>
> Only bluez.conf

OK, and...

> > Is there something pulling in `crypto_user'?

...what's in the file?  And...

> > What package owns that file?  `pacman -Qo foo'.

I think therein lies your answer.

> > > Nope. Only "[PACMAN] Running 'pacman -U
> > > linux-4.17.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
> > > linux-headers-4.17.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz'".
> >
> > So that's you manually installing linux-headers just now, and it
> > looks like it wasn't installed before.
>
> The curious issue here is, linux-headers is installed, but the package
> hasn't been put into the cache

Because you obtained it directly and upgrade from it with `-U'.
The cache is of packages sync'd with `-S'.

> I've currently still linux-headers 4.17.8 installed, though the kernel
> has been downgraded to 4.17.2.

`pacman -Qi linux-headers' should show `Required by' as `None'.
Remove it with `sudo -i pacman -R linux-headers'.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy