[arch-general] Arch Linux PC as a Remote Desktop Node

Foxtrot Mike fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:07:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Currently we have around 10 employees who develop software using Visual
Studio. The idea is to install the development tools on the Windows
Server system, and to have all the developers connect to the server over
RDP using low-end low-power computers. The server is pretty beefy
though. The low end client PCs will save up-front cost as well as power
bills. The network backend will not have any issue with the increased
RDP traffic.

I have been using Arch Linux for some years now, so I undertook this as
a research project. I  want to use the Arch system as a Remote Desktop
node. The Arch system would use a login manager (such as lightdm) to
authenticate users from Windows Domain. Once the user has been
authenticated, the system is supposed to automatically open a RDP
connection (using freerdp) to the Windows Server (if possible, using the
credentials provided to lightdm so the user doesn't have to enter his
password twice). As soon as the user quits the RDP session, his
X-session should also be closed automatically.

Here are the major tasks:

1- Ask LightDM to use Windows Domain (Kerberos) authentication. I am a
little confused. There are supposedly many different ways with little
changes to do this. [1] is one solution. LDAP is also a possibility. I
need advice from someone who knows this field better than me :p

2- How to ask i3-wm (my default wm) to run freerdp at login? I guess [2]
will get this done.

3- How to ask freerdp to authenticate using the ticket received from TGT
during LightDM Domain authentication? If I could somehow configure
freerdp to use Kerberos Tickets then the user won't have to enter his
Domain password again.

4- How to ask i3-wm to close the X-session when freeRDP quits? I read
something a while ago about .xsession files to achieve this
functionality, but can't find it now.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards.

[1]