[arch-general] Kernel modules not loaded after Linux update

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Mon Jul 30 15:32:57 UTC 2018

Am 30.07.2018 um 15:36 schrieb Shawn Rainey:
> Am 22.07.2018 um 11:27 schrieb Peter Nabbefeld:
>> Hello,
>> I've updated my installation yesterday, also doing an update of the
>> Linux kernel to 4.17.8. When starting this morning, kernel modules
>> rejected to load, so I even couldn't access the internet.
>> I've downgraded Linux now to 4.17.2, but still have some problems
>> (probably because I only downgraded the kernel itself).
>> I cannot find the error message from the service again, sorry, so I
>> cannot tell You, it had to do with some security parameter not set.
>> According to the description of kernel downgrading in the wiki, I
>> should have downgraded linux-headers, too, but these are not in my
>> package cache - are they included in the kernel package now?
>> How can I find out, which other kernel modules need to be downgraded?
>> Kind regards
>> Peter
>

> This happened to me on 2 installations so far (the only 2 I've done) on
>
> updating the kernel to 4.17.10-1.   It looks like the problem is that the
>
> /boot partition was not mounted, as it usually is, during the update
> process.
>
> This caused the previously installed kernel to load, and the modules to fail
>
> to load due to version mismatch.
>

> I fixed it by booting to live media, mounting the /boot and / partitions
>
> appropriately and doing arch-chroot to / to install the cached 4.17.10 image
>

> with pacman -U
>

> For now I've also put the /boot partition in my fstab, even though iirc
>
> the wiki recommends against this.
>

> Good luck,
>

> -Shawn

Thank You, Shawn! So, if I understand You correctly, the basic problem
cause seems to be some change in /boot partition handling (i.e. AFAIK
/boot was automatically mounted during kernel installation, but isn't
now for any reason). As a result, probably the old modules are still
there instead of the new ones after the kernel update.

Do You really still need the fstab change after updating the modules? Or
did Youz just change it so You'll be prepared for the next update?

Kind regards

Peter