[arch-general] Arch Linux PC as a Remote Desktop Node

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:53:11 UTC 2018

On 07/30/2018 02:32 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>> I am totally confused as to what and why you are wanting to put your
>> Arch server between the employees and the RDP session to the windows
>> server?? Where is the code they produce stored? Windows? Arch Server?
> Mike didn't mention an Arch server.  He has a Windows server and ten
> PCs.  He wants each PC to be a dumb RDP terminal to the server.  He is
> considering running `the Arch system' on each dumb PC to provide the
> RDP-terminal functionality, e.g. an X server and RDP client.

Ralph,

  Oh, oh, that makes sense. Yes, just load arch, load whatever lightweight
desktop you like. I like both i3 and fluxbox, but prefer fluxbox. A lightdm
type DM is fine. With fluxbox, I would just configure the autologin to the
windows RDP session via the ~/.fluxbox/startup file. I don't use AD/kerbose,
etc.., but I see no reason you couldn't do something similar. As long as you
can invoke the RDP session from the command line -- you can put it in a
startup file. I've always just used the rdesktop package from the community
repository. Always worked fine.

FM

  Good luck on the project and sorry for the confusion.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.