[arch-general] IPSET and OUTPUT

Gioele Falcetti thegio.f at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:45:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018, 14:47 siefke_listen at web.de, <siefke_listen at web.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want use ad blocking with iptables so I found ipset which make life
> easier. My question is how it work with Output format?
>
> iptables -I OUTPUT -m set --match-set adblock src -j REJECT

will this work? I be not really sure and most what found
> about ipset is input.
>
> Thanks for help
> Silvio

Since you want to block the destination IP, not the source IP, you should
use:

 -A OUTPUT -m set --match-set adblock dst -j REJECT

I usually also add "--reject-with icmp-host-prohibited", that makes the
detection of the blocked host easier:

-A OUTPUT -m set --match-set adblock dst -j REJECT --reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited