[arch-general] godep has been deprecated in favor of dep

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 11 20:38:45 UTC 2018

Yo!

Just as a conclusive mail and some brief information!

dep has been added to community. I was initially unsure as the plans for dep was
to be merged upstream to essentially become "go dep" at some point in time. The
roadmap stated that the next release, 1.11, would have been this window. That
was apparently a lie for reasons unclear.

Meanwhile vgo was released on the 20th of February as a dependency management
tool, and has already been merged into go and will be included in the 1.11
realease, for reasons unclear. However after some more reading dep will continue
be the recommended tool for dependency management as both godep and glide has
ceased to be developed. Thus I found it useful to be in community.

TL;DR: Go still has issues they should have solved 9 years ago.

https://research.swtch.com/vgo-intro
https://sdboyer.io/blog/vgo-and-dep/

--
Morten Linderud