[arch-general] Update to 4.15.8 on dual quad-core box locked on ( 3/16) Install DKMS modules, need help resurecting

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Mar 13 03:33:35 UTC 2018

On 03/12/2018 11:07 PM, John Ramsden via arch-general wrote:
> For anyone not happy with dkms, the archzfs repo [1] offers great
> support for ZFS in binary form,  and I've been using it for a few
> years now with no problems.

The most important part of using zfs is installing it. Especially
considering the reason zfs was mentioned in this thread was as a
proposal that someone might want to consider installing it, the ability
to actually do so would be nice.

You cannot install an Arch Linux system on zfs, without the zfs kernel
drivers compiled for your running kernel.

You cannot build those kernel modules on the Arch installation media,
without doing a full system upgrade and installing the compiler
toolchain, while holding back the kernel itself and hunting for the
kernel headers matching the kernel from the ISO, then getting the zfs
sources and building that too.
On a ramdisk overlay filesystem.

Now, in theory the archzfs repo provides some archiso packages for
exactly this use case. Except no they don't, because their archiso
packages have not been updated since October...

This is less than entirely impressive. They have rebuilt everything
else, why not this?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User