[arch-general] Re-install of Arch on a larger drive

Jens John lists at tun0.de
Sat Mar 17 22:24:51 UTC 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 05:25:36PM -0400, Trey Sizemore via arch-general wrote:
> anything else I could do to make the process fast and as close to the
> current install as possible?

Yes. Do not reinstall but migrate your file system contents 1:1 to the
new disk using rsync. The advantage is that the file system contents and
therefore system configuration stay the same and you don't have to waste
time putting stuff together afterwards.

I used/recommend a procedure similar to [1]. The principle is basically
the same as a reinstall but instead of bootstrapping from a bare bones
system you substitute your existing file systems. I don't see any
benefit of doing it differently unless your existing install is broken
in some way.

The most time was taken up by copying 512G of file system contents over
a SATA<>USB3 bridge to the new SSD. If you can put both the old and the
new drive on a SATA bus, you'll be done in no time.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/migrate_installation_to_new_hardware#Top_to_Bottom