[arch-general] Re-install of Arch on a larger drive

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Mar 18 03:13:55 UTC 2018

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 04:03:41 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:40:33 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
>>On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 23:24 +0100, Jens John wrote:
>>> Do not reinstall but migrate your file system contents 1:1 to the
>>> new disk using rsync.
>
>Why using such an advanced tool for a simple copy?
>
>Run a Linux from a live media and simply do a
>
>  sudo cp -a /from/source/mountpoint /to/target/mountpoint
>
>>But does the fact that I'm going from a 250GB to 500GB (and different
>>partition sized) complicate this procedure?
>
>It doesn't matter, don't confuse the copy (or any sync) command, with
>something like the dd command.
>
>Since you don't migrate to other hardware, appart from the drive, you
>even don't need to fix a graphics driver or something like that, you
>only need to reinstall the bootloader after coping all files.

Oops, perhaps you need to fix fstab, your bootloader's config and
similar files, assuming you are one of those UUID users. If you tend to
use labels instead of UUIDs, you even don't need to fix those
files. After copying the files just use the same label for the new
partition, you used for the partition on the old drive.