[arch-general] Re-install of Arch on a larger drive

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 19 10:44:17 UTC 2018

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:17:02 +0000
Paul Gideon Dann via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I've moved or cloned my general-use Arch system between disks more
> times than I can count. This is what LVM is for. If you're not using
> LVM (or BTRFS), I recommend you start, but in the meantime, the
> simplest solution when moving between systems is to dd the contents
> of each partition from the source disk to the destination disk, and
> then expand filesystems as necessary:
>
> sudo dd if=/dev/sdx1 of=/dev/sdy1 bs=1M oflag=direct
> sudo fsck -f /dev/sdy1
> sudo resize2fs /dev/sdy1
>
> Paul

Thanks.  I'll give it a try and also go back to using LVM.

--
Cheers,
Trey

There is an innocence in admiration; it is found in those to whom
it has not yet occurred that they, too, might be admired some day.
                 --Friedrich Nietzsche

Linux mint-desktop 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64
 06:43:24 up 17:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.10, 0.32, 0.75