[arch-general] Broke Arch trying to change graphics driver

Eric Blau eblau at eblau.com
Sat May 5 13:04:37 UTC 2018

On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 2:45 AM mar77i via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> > When I tried "sudo modprobe nvidia" I got an "exec format error"
> > message and the nvidia module refused to load.
>
> You need to build your driver for each kernel separately. That's why you
> can get [0] as a package.
>
> cheers!
> mar77i
>
> [0] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/nvidia-dkms/

Hmm, I never had to do that before. The nvidia modules get installed in the
4.16 extramodules directory so they only need to be compiled once for all
4.16 kernels. At least that is my understanding. I was running the nvidia
package with 4.16.4 with no problems until I tried to reinstall.

-Eric