[arch-general] Distribution license of package information on the website?

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Wed May 30 21:55:58 UTC 2018

Op di 29 mei 2018 21:18 schreef Hong Xu <hong at topbug.net>:

> On 05/29/2018 10:27 AM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-general wrote:
> > Em maio 29, 2018 8:27 Eli Schwartz via arch-general escreveu:
> >>
> >> I'm of the opinion that there cannot be a license requirement for reuse
> >> at all, since it's not original enough, and explicitly clarify this in
> >> https://github.com/eli-schwartz/pkgbuilds#copyright

[...]

(IANAL) While every single PKGBUILD file may be trivial enough and thus

does not require a license, the aggregation of them is actually
> significant. [...]

> think this can be eventually harmful for ArchLinux. For example, one can
> host an internal mirror for ArchLinux repositories without signing
> explicit agreement with the owner of the repository data. Even, as a
> user, downloading repository data is a form of reproducing.

Ianal either (but also not an American), I fail to see how mirroring *free*
software can be harmful for that same free software.  It's not as if "we"
are obliged  (by contract or law) to ensure quality or something. With OSS
you get what you pay for; if your kitten gets eaten in the process, too
bad...

Now, if we were talking about commercial software, that might be something
else. But AFAIK that has no real place in our repos.

Mvg, Guus Snijders