[arch-general] Where can I 'setterm -blank 5 -powerdown 6' as part of the boot process/systemd startup?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu May 31 19:39:24 UTC 2018

On 05/26/2018 03:30 AM, Celti Burroughs via arch-general wrote:
> [Unit]
> Description=Enable virtual console blanking and poweroff
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> Environment=TERM=linux
> StandardOutput=tty
> TTYPath=/dev/console
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/setterm -blank 5 -powerdown 6
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target

Thank you Celti!

I'll give it a try. I installed the service file in /usr/lib/systemd/system
and then enabled it. (I guess I should create a package for it)

Is this the reason console blanking quit working? The default was removed from
/sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank to turn it over to systemd, but no
one ever implemented the service for systemd?

I don't get why for 15 years console blanking worked perfectly and then it
just quit working. Now we need to create a new service file just to get the
default behavior back? Seems kind of crazy.

Oh well, I'll let you know if it works (I just installed 4.16.12, and enabled
the service before reboot -- time will tell. If it does, is there any interest
in creating a "console-blanking" package to install the service? Seems like it
should be there and be set to 600 by default.

Thanks again.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.