[arch-general] Problem install shrew vpn client

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Fri Nov 2 21:45:28 UTC 2018

On 11/2/18 5:25 PM, Peter Bauer wrote:
> Am 26.09.18 um 10:47 schrieb Maykel Franco via arch-general:
>> Hi, I received this error when compile the program shrew vpn client:
>>
>> yaourt -S shrew-vpn-client
>>
>> /tmp/yaourt-tmp-maykel/aur-shrew-vpn-client/src/ike/source/libike/manager.file.cpp:
>> In member function 'bool _CONFIG_MANAGER::file_pcf_load(CONFIG&, const
>> char*, bool&)':
>> /tmp/yaourt-tmp-maykel/aur-shrew-vpn-client/src/ike/source/libike/manager.file.cpp:682:19:
>> error: aggregate 'EVP_CIPHER_CTX ctx_cipher' has incomplete type and
>> cannot be defined
>>     EVP_CIPHER_CTX ctx_cipher;
>>                    ^~~~~~~~~~
>
> should this even be answered here?
>
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/962#issuecomment-427752560
>
> TLDR;
>

>>> So, all existing Software must be rewritten just to be able to use
> 1.1.x ?
>>> Do you have any idea how many Million lines of code are affected by
> this crap??
>> Yes, applications must be changed to use 1.1.x.

for what it's worth, you may be able to use vpnc[0] or StrongSwan[1] as
an IPSec client. this may be even recommended, as Shrew Soft hasn't
released an update for 5 years.

that being said, the dependencies for the PKGBUILD should be changed to
use openssl-1.0[2] instead of openssl.

you may need to further update the cmake line (or patch the
CMakeLists.txt) to point explicitly to the proper openSSL path (for
openssl-1.0 instead of the default-provided v1.1.x), but i'm not as
familiar with cmake to recommend how to do this.

honestly, i'd recommend just moving away from Shrew Soft if possible and
instead use something that is actively maintained. I strongly recommend
StrongSwan.

[0] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vpnc
[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/StrongSwan
[2] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/openssl-1.0/