[arch-general] NetBeans 9.0 not a drop-in replacement of 8.2

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Nov 12 19:16:11 UTC 2018

On 11/12/18 1:44 PM, Ali Emre Gülcü via arch-general wrote:
> I am asking to get the general idea of how the package versioning works, I
> don't really know what has changed on NetBeans side. IIRC there are
> different versions of Java and PostgreSQL on official repos (not on AUR)
> like jdk8-openjdk for specific version and jdk-openjdk for latest and
> always-updated version. What do you consider when splitting packages by
> their versions?

Java is... special, because there's a number of different runtimes that
upstream officially supports, all of them are widely used, and none of
them are compatible with each other.

So, we have jre and jdk, suffixed by their version, then suffixed by
"-openjdk" to indicate it is the opensource version, not the oracle builds.

Unless there's some compelling reason, we don't typically offer multiple
versions of software in the official repos.

Compelling reasons may include major language runtime splits like
python2/python3, the openssl-1.0 package for software which is not
ported to work with the latest version of openssl, the qt4/qt5 split
(although hopefully someday soon, all qt4 software will finally be
ported to qt5), etc.

Notice, these are all typically support libraries used as dependencies
for other packages, rather than leaf software.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User