[arch-general] NetBeans 9.0 not a drop-in replacement of 8.2

Leandro Papi leandro at alonerd.net
Tue Nov 13 08:18:21 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 09:05, Leonidas Spyropoulos via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/11/18, Danila Kiver via arch-general wrote:
> > Agree, NB 9.0 is a complete headache and probably should not be considered
> > an *upgrade* from 8.2. Even upcoming NB 10.0 does not seem to solve
> > all the migration issues.
> >
> > Maybe Apache Netbeans (9.0 and higher) has to be distributed as a different
> > package ("apache-netbeans"), conflicting with old "netbeans" package?
> >
> > This way would allow manual upgrade (by installing "apache-netbeans")
> > from old good NB 8.0 to Apache NB when it will be good enough to replace it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Danila Kiver.
> >
> Hi Danila,
>
> A package mainatainer should not make such decisions for the users. If
> you don't like it you have the option to not update and stick to the
> 8.2. If you think that this could benefit others then submit a package
> in AUR as suggested already. You can use the history of the package to
> fetch the 8.2 version of PKBUILD [1] and push it to AUR with netbeans8
> name (probably conflicts / provides netbeans).
>
> Cheers,
> Leonidas
>
> [1]: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/netbeans&id=bfdf023d7e3506227ffed92abaaa7a5e9e5d107d
>
> --
> Leonidas Spyropoulos
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

As I understand, it's common, and the good way to have NB9.0 in
community repository.
I have since then put the package in IgnorePkg and kept using the 8.2 version.

There are actually AUR packages for NB8.2 [1], and the nightly version
of NB9.0 [2] which
can be compiled with all the plugins that are not distributable in binary form.
Let's suppose I want to create an AUR package to compile the full
version of Netbeans 9.0,
but I don't want it to conflict the preexisting version installed from
community, what is the correct
course of action?
In which path should I install it?

Leandro

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netbeans8/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netbeans-incubator/
--
L'ignoranza è un male curabile, è sufficiente la volontà.

Please don't print this e-mail if you don't need to!