[arch-general] Kernel 4.19 preventing Firefox from playing videos

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Nov 14 18:54:55 UTC 2018

On 14/11/2018 17.54, Frank Zimmermann wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> I have a very strange issue with kernel 4.19.1 With this kernel Firefox
> no longer plays any videos. It opens the page but the video wont play.
> It gets even worse when I open another tab. This will freeze Firefox
> though system load is ok. But I cannot kill Firefox, even logging off
> and on will keep it running in the background. Only way to stop it is a
> reboot and shutdown will take approx 10 to 15 mins for various stop
> jobs running. just downgraded to Kernel 4.18.19 and things are fine.
> I'm running Gnome on a Thinkpad X201.
>
> KR Frank

Just another data point: (Might be related, might not...)

I'm seeing something similar with 4.19.1, though it doesn't completely
crash it just casues all GUI operations (even just switching windows) to
become *really* sluggish until I reboot the machine. At that point
firefox gets so slow that it's basically unusable -- this might be
experienced as it having hung on a slower machine. I am able to quit it
with regular Ctrl+Q though.

Downgrading to 4.18.19 seems to fix it for me.

(Running KDE on a Radeon GPU.)

Regards,