[arch-general] Gnome 3.30 - Suspend acts as suspend-then-hibernate

Reto Haeberli reto.haeberli at comnode.net
Mon Oct 1 20:32:46 UTC 2018

Hello arch-general,

I don’t know where to address this properly, so I try here:

Obviously the behaviour for suspend has been changed in gnome 3.30 from suspend to "suspend then hibernate". Personally I have only discovered this after a while - suddenly experiencing random crashes after entering suspend mode.

The whole implementation does not check reliably if hibernate is fully established (this was not the case on my pc cause I don’t need it) and then causes crashes that could potentially result in a data loss when trying to hibernate from suspend state.

There is also a discussion in the forum: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1810621#p1810621

I’m new to arch but I’d assume it would be beneficial to issue a warning to users or change the default behaviour back to the old one where suspend is “suspend" and not "suspend then hibernate"?

Thoughts?

Best regards