[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Mon Sep 17 11:50:12 UTC 2018

Am 17.09.18 um 12:42 schrieb Luke English:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:34:54PM +0200, Guus Snijders via arch-general wrote:

>>> Well, tell the OpenJDK/Oracle people, they are the ones who came up with
>>> this release cycle. It has nothing to do with Arch Linux.
>>>
>> Actually, it's just a user question on how to handle multiple pkg versions.
>> And that is Arch(user) specific ;).
>>
>> One option would be to use custom pkg's, another (somewhat easy) method
>> would be to create a virtual machine for every java version.
> Isn't that exactly what archlinux-java is for? The way I see it the
> original question was related to Arch's replacement of openjdk-9 with
> openjdk-10.
>
>> In the VM case, add some shared storage and have fun. Just remember to
>> freeze at least the java pkg in those vm's...
>>

>> Mvg, Guus Snijders

Sorry, I accidently sent my earlier response to Olli privately. So one
question has been lost:

Probably, pacman could be extended with an option to change the update
strategy from replace to add?

This would make it a lot easier than building my own packages or even
setup a dedicated VM, as I'm changing JDKs in my IDE on a per-project
base. This just ensures I'm not using newer features for environments
where I cannot use those. BTW, I'm feeling comfortable to use the latest
JDK, but I just want to be able to try out solutions for older ones with
possibly missing features (or just older class file version numbers).
E.g. in some cases some environments cannot work with newer class file
versions, one prominent piece being Maven, as far as I read on some
mailing lists (some plugins seemed to reject work with projects using
JDK 9, but as I still use JDK 8, currently, it's not been my problem).

Kind regards

Peter