[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Peter Nabbefeld peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de
Mon Sep 17 16:31:14 UTC 2018

Am 17.09.18 um 16:21 schrieb Eli Schwartz via arch-general:
> On September 17, 2018 10:06:04 AM EDT, Peter Nabbefeld <peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> You will get prompted again and again on every pacman -Su "to see if
>>> you're finally ready to do the replacement".
>>>
>> That's what I don't want - if I accidently don't type the "n" for some
>> reason, the JDK will be raplaced. While I could re-install it from the
>> repo's cache, this is a bit inconvinient. Just adding and moving to the
>> new one would be great.
> So essentially what you really want is a way for pacman to remember your choice. That would require pacman modify its configuration which is something that goes against the current architecture... What would happen instead is pacman.conf could be used to configure this.
>
> I'm not sure if IgnorePkg or HoldPkg would have an effect here...

Currently, I'm using IgnorePkg - this solves the main problem, but gives
me some alerts (as 5 packages are affected). And I don't know what will
happen, if JDK 11 is out: Will I have to block both (JDK 9 and JDK 10),
i.e. will the number of ignored packages (and the related alerts) have
to increase with every new JDK release? Then I will reach the point at
some time, where I do not see other important messages because of all
the alerts.

BTW, I do not want to change pacman's architecture, it shouldn't
remember anything. One solution could just be to define sth. like
"IgnoreSilent", i.e. an option like "IgnorePkg" without the alerts. But,
while the behaviour is what I want, the semantics are probably strange:
"IgnorePkg" currently adds the replacement package while not removing
the replaced one, while I'd expect it to do nothing in this case.
However, other replacements seem to work just fully or changing nothing
- is it probably possible to control this from the package?

Alternatively, a completely other option like the following could be
added like this "forever":
UpdateStrategyAdd = jdk*-openjdk jre*-openjdk jre*-openjdk-headless
openjdk*-doc openjdk*-src

Kind regards

Peter