[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Tinu Weber takeya at bluewin.ch
Tue Sep 18 15:25:00 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 18:26:04 +0200, ProgAndy wrote:
> This might be a use case for remakepkg to remove the replaces-entry in
> the java10 packages.
>
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1771005

*sees people mentioning that tool in serious discussions*
*slightly panicks*

I see that jre10-openjdk does indeed only replace, but not conflict with
jre9-openjdk, so I guess there should be no harm in installing both (but
I have not tested it, so expect things to break):

 1. Build and install remakepkg from the AUR
 2. Write the following REPKGBUILD file:

        repkg extra/jre10-openjdk
        remove-replace jre9-openjdk

 3. Run `remakepkg`

Then again, this is just an alternative to just fetching Arch's
PKGBUILD file for jre10-openjdk, editing it, and building the full
package yourself.

--Tinu