[arch-general] How to have multiple JDKs parallel?

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:00:25 UTC 2018

On 9/19/18, ProgAndy <admin at progandy.de> wrote:

> There are LTS releases planned by AdoptOpenJDK, though. For now, Java 8
> and Java 11 are declared as supported until at least 2022 [1]. These
> versions may be of interest for Arch Linux.

I'm not a Java developer anymore and probably unaware of new stuff,
and what you say makes sense. Though, isn't LTS packaging a niche
feature in Arch and wouldn't Arch follow the current latest JDK.
So JDK-LTS would be an extra package while a hypothetical meta
package like openjdk would track latest stable branch. Make sense?

I don't have a horse in this race, just thinking out loud.

I'm excited OpenJDK is turning into the mainstream source of JDKs,
when it was Oracle and IBM in the past. No more stupid JVM usage
tracking done by Oracle, for one. And no more licensing surprises.