[arch-general] Starting 9/15 new error - stat of /var/log/clamav/clamd.log failed

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Sep 21 22:09:36 UTC 2018

On 9/21/18 1:37 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Archdevs,
>
>    Is this a new bug or config issue? Beginning 9/15, I receive a new cron error:
>
> error: stat of /var/log/clamav/clamd.log failed: No such file or directory
>
>    But the file is there:
>
> $ l /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
> -rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 0 Aug 30  2015 /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
>

> The wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ClamAV doesn't mention the
> issue, so is this a bug? If so, upstream or here?

I have to think this is something you're triggering yourself.  ClamAV
doesn't seem to ship with any cron jobs.  (See "pacman -Ql clamav | grep
cron")  So this must be either a cron job you've added yourself, or some
old one that's left hanging around.

As far as the clamd log file, I think it's normal to be empty if you're
not running clam as a daemon.  That's how mine is:

$ ls -l /var/log/clamav/clamd.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 clamav clamav 0 May  5  2013 /var/log/clamav/clamd.log

Only other remaining explanations I could offer are:

* The drive that /var/log/clamav is on is damaged and unreadable.  (See
if you see any errors in either dmesg or /var/log/messages)

* You have a permissions issue on either /var/log/clamav, /var/log, or
/var, whereby the user running the cronjob doesn't have read or execute
permissions to one of those directories.

HTH,

DR