[arch-general] MariaDB package version

leoutation at gmx.fr leoutation at gmx.fr
Sun Sep 30 20:33:12 UTC 2018

On 9/30/18 12:47 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Genes Lists via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> on Thu, 2018/09/27
> 09:36:

>>> Mariadb 10.2 and 10.3 are available in all distro except Arch
>>> https://downloads.mariadb.org/mariadb/repositories/#mirror=cnrs
>>
>> The link Eli provided references lots of client programs having problems
>> - but I didn't find a list of which client programs.
>
> We encountered random failures in different client... And did not record an
> exact list. Possibly most of this was fixed in later version - I did not
> check in detail.
>
> I do build packages for recent versions of MariaDB from time to time. Still
> failing is perl-dbd-mysql with its extensive test suite, that was my primary
> test case.
>
> Due to unaddressed issues with MariaDB (and Unicode) the original DBD::mysql
> was forked into DBD::MariaDB [0]. Possibly we should have a look on whether or
> not replacing this package is an option... But if I understand correctly this
> brings new incompatibility.
>
> [0] https://metacpan.org/pod/DBD::MariaDB

Thanks for this explanation.
Perl-dbd-mysql is a mysql module  necessary for xtrabackup.
May you replace xtrabackup with other backup tool?
Here, they say MariaDB Backup, included with MariaDB 10.1.23 and later,
is a fork of xtrabackup.
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/backup-and-restore-overview/
Question: is it necessary to keep xtrabackup?
Regards