[arch-general] Opening a document with unicode in path

John Z. johnz at pleasantnightmare.com
Fri Aug 2 18:23:30 UTC 2019

> The ls command will by default escape the character into its numeric
> code if it thinks the character is invalid in your locale. I can get ls
> to print the same thing as you (using shell-escaped $'\303\251') *iff* I
> first export LC_ALL=C (which is not a UTF-8 locale and therefore cannot
> print unicode characters).
>
> This indicates something is wrong with your locale, because at the very
> least, your shell cannot parse the character correctly -- maybe neither
> can libreoffice.

Man, can't thank you enough. You guided me to the issue.

So, I tried what you said, but I couldn't modify LC_ALL at all - bash
was complaining. If I echo it, I'd get back en_CA.UTF-8.

I started wondering if there's an issue with locales since the install,
so I figured I'll check /etc/locale.conf and regenerate them, and lo and
behold - all locales were commented out. I uncommented en_CA.UTF-8, ran
locale-gen, and now both `ls` and libreoffice work correctly.

Thanks everyone on their time, both to read my questions and write out
answers, and helping me fix this issue.

--
"That gum you like is going to come back in style."