[arch-general] Xterm and .Xresources

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Aug 11 08:41:38 UTC 2019

Hi Storm,

> > > I found that if I export TERM=vt220 that most keys do work
> >
> > If you start an xterm(1) and find TERM is `xterm' then I'd leave it
> > alone.
>
> My TERM reports as Linux. Should I export it as xterm?

xterm(1) says

    Terminal database (terminfo (5) or termcap (5)) entries that work
    with xterm include

        an optional platform-specific entry (“xterm”),
        “xterm”,
        “vt102”,
        “vt100”,
        “ansi” and
        “dumb”

    Xterm automatically searches the terminal database in this order for
    these entries and then sets the “TERM” variable (and the “TERMCAP”
    environment variable on a few older systems).  The alternatives
    after “xterm” are very old, from the late 1980s.

So presumably something in your set up, e.g. .bash_profile, is setting
it to ‘Linux’.  Yes, set it to ‘xterm’.

I'd also expect you to have /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm-256color that
means it can alternatively be set to ‘xterm-256color’.

--
Cheers, Ralph.