[arch-general] Ubunto to Arch complete data migration

Jens John lists at 2ion.de
Mon Aug 12 19:58:28 UTC 2019

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019, at 21:02, Matt Zand via arch-general wrote:
> 1- what is the easiest way to do this?

rsync -aAXv --progress --human-readable $source $destination

> 2- do I need to partition hard-drive of new PC exactly as old one?

No.

> 3- will root and other user credentials stay the same?

No, because I wouldn't recommend overwriting the default shadow and passwd files without fixing and matching UIDs/GIDs for system accounts already present in Arch.

Yes, because of course you can set passwords and secrets as you see fit.

Treat data and system configuration as different entities; the rest will follow.