[arch-general] Ubunto to Arch complete data migration

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 13 03:06:42 UTC 2019

On 08/12/2019 02:02 PM, Matt Zand via arch-general wrote:
> I want to move all my files, localhost services like Apache configuration
> and application (web server) files and folders from a Ubuntu laptop to
> another brand new computer (Arch OS).

Whoa.. Before you just start moving things, make sure the version of the
server you are moving from is the same as you will have on Arch (Arch will be
current with the upstream released version and can be several versions ahead
of what you are used to)

Assuming your versions of apache, etc.. are the same, copy your existing
config to a temporary directory on your new Arch box. I would recommend
starting with the default config provided by Arch and ADDING your specific
config items to the default config while you have the wiki page open, e.g.

Apache HTTP Server
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Apache_HTTP_Server

That way if there are any differences in the Arch config due to the way things
are packaged or the way the config is split between the main file in
/etc/httpd/conf/ and files included from /etc/httpd/conf/extra/ you will
automatically incorporate the changes by starting with the default config
provided.

> My questions
> 1- what is the easiest way to do this?

Move your content from your Ubuntu laptop to your new Arch install. Do not
blindly copy server config files, copy your existing config to a temp
directory and incorporate any specific config in the default config files
provided by Arch (while you have the appropriate wiki.archlinux.org page open)

> 2- do I need to partition hard-drive of new PC exactly as old one?

No, how things are partitioned does not matter to the various servers.

> 3- will root and other user credentials stay the same?

No, you will need to create the Linux root and other users on you Arch box.
You may also need to add, map or adjust GID (group ID numbers) as the group
and GID the server runs under on Arch may not match what it ran under on Ubuntu.

> Any other suggestion appreciated,

The Arch wiki page for each utility or server are probably some of the best on
the net -- use them to help you accomplish whatever you are doing on Arch.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.